|Posted by food hugs on February 12, 2014 at 5:35 AM|
It's the meal that starts your child off on it's daily adventures, so the most important thing is that provides a solid platform for their day.
Not a big sugar high that will lead to a mid morning slump (let's not mention those cereals), but something that will deliver a nice constant stream of energy, plenty of fuel for young brains and one of their five a day, just for an overall health boost!
The formula I use is:
Wholegrain carbohydrate + good fats/protein + fruit/vegetable = a boy bouncing out to school!
Some ideas along this formula are:
- Porridge + 2 tbsp of Linwoods ground seeds (or 'sprinkles') + natural yogurt + berries
- Flahavan's Hi 8 muesli + 2 tbsp chia seeds + chopped banana
- McCambridges toasted brown bread + scrambled egg + green smoothie
- Low sugar granola (e.g. Paddy O's) + natural yogurt + chopped nuts + berries
- Wholemeal toast + mashed avocado with lemon + berry smoothie
- Wholemeal toast + low sugar/low salt baked beans + green smoothie
- Oatcakes + peanut butter + slices of apple + green smoothie
- Grain free granola + natural yogurt + orange/apple fruit salad
- Oatcakes + with cream cheese + boiled egg + cherry tomatoes
- Weetabix + flaked almonds + sliced banana